Pages

Monday, January 16, 2012

Triathlon Training: Week 3 - Monday Morning Swim

Today's workout 1350 yd swim 45:00 followed by upper body weight lifting 45:00.

Woke up early as always to get my swim in, both boys got up within minutes of each other as I was getting ready in the bathroom. Seeing as how it was 4:45 in the morning I convinced them to head back to bed before I headed out the door for the gym.

Today's workout called for a 300 yd warm up followed by an 800 yd swim and 150 cool down swim. I knew going into this workout I was not going to be able to continuously swim 800 yd my swimming endurance is just not up to that level yet, so I ended up breaking it down to 4x200 yd swims. The pool was packed this morning and I ended up sharing a lane with a regular early morning swimmer that I have talked with briefly a couple times over the last few weeks. Being in the same lane with some one else can make concentrating difficult, I tend to swim all over the place so I was overly concerned about running into him which I think had an effect on my workout. Completing just one 200 was pretty difficult and only confirmed my decision to break up the 800. By my last 200 the pool had cleared out a bit and I moved over to another lane, where I instantly felt more relaxed, I know during a triathlon I'm going to be bunched in like sardines with other swimmers at the start so I'm going to have to get used to swimming with other people but right now I'm more concerned with other aspects of my technique like you know breathing. Just the small amount of wake created by my lane partner made it difficult to breathe in from my right side and I was forced to breathe from both sides during my first 3 200's. It was really good practice and it was much more comfortable and natural feeling today.

After finishing up in the pool I headed upstairs to lift, I ended up doing 3 circuits of bench press, pull ups, push ups, barbell rows, dumbbell curl and press, trunk twists, side bends, walking weighted lunges, and overhead wrap rounds. Afterwards I did 3 x 10 super sets of dead lifts and burpees with chin ups to failure and 3 super sets of clean and press and close grip bench press. The goal of weight workouts is to build total body fitness, hence the compound movements of Olympic lifts with circuits and super sets. My workout is designed to get my heart rate going and help me work on my recovery time. I am going to be fatigued entering the transitions during a triathlon, I'll need to be able to recover in only a couple of minutes and head out for the next discipline. I'm training much the same way I did for MMA, lots of light - moderate weight and high reps. I'm usually pretty much wiped out after 45 minutes but as I continue I will get stronger and my recovery time will increase greatly as well as overall endurance.

Until next time...Do today what others won't, so tomorrow you can do what others can't.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you had a solid workout day! I like to do my strength training after swimming too.

    ReplyDelete