Pages

Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Triathlon Training: Week 1 Day 3 - Easy Run

Today's workout - Easy Run 4 miles in 37:43 and finished up with 45 minutes of upper body weight lifting and core exercises.

Technically this workout was supposed to be last night but I arrived late to the hotel after work (lame excuse) and really didn't feel like doing it so I moved it to this morning. I do have to be careful over the next couple of weeks not to increase my total training volume too much too fast. Prior to the holidays I was getting anywhere from 7 - 11 hours of total training in for the 5 weeks between the Wildcat 50k and the week of Christmas, so I really need to keep it somewhere around 8 this week and then start building from there as I work back into the swing of things. I certainly don't want to burn out in the first month or 2 of training.

Today was the first run I've done in over a week and it went about as well as could be expected. Legs were a little more sore from swimming than I anticipated and I felt like I was laboring entirely too much for the speed and distance. I probably should have backed it down a little but what can I say hind sight is 20/20 right. My left knee started bothering me towards the end of the run which concerns me, this is something that has flared up from time to time over the last few years but recently it has been more often. I was hoping that the week off from running and cycling would have given it some well deserved rest but maybe not enough. I will have to keep an eye on that developing situation and possibly adjust my training to limit the amount of running for the time being. The extra time in the pool certainly wouldn't hurt either and once again running is the one discipline of the 3 that I'm least concerned about, as long as the legs are healthy and strong I know I can cover any distance. I will get another crack at running tomorrow when I do my weekly tempo run so hopefully it goes better.

Until next time...

Do today what others won't, so tomorrow you can do what others can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment