Pages

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Triathlon Training: Week 2 - Tuesday Long Swim

Today's workout called for 1500 yd but I added 250 to my cool down so I ended up with 1750 yd in 1:10.

Today was the first time doing an actual structured workout, the workout called for:

Warm up swim - 300 swim, 100 kick, 100 swim
Workout - 16x50 yd with 10 second rest in between
Cool down - 200 yd easy swim

I actually ended up breaking up the workout into 4 sets of 4x50 with 15 second rest and minute in between sets, my endurance isn't up to par yet but its getting much better.

Overall this was a great workout that actually left me wanting more which is why I added the extra 250 yd at the cool down. I feel more more comfortable in the pool each time out which is nice, my breathing is becoming more natural and I'm not hyperventilating myself constantly.

Tonight I'll try to do 30-45 minutes on the elliptical at the hotel and then tomorrow is a much needed rest day, I am looking forward to sleeping in till 6 or 6:30 after 2 straight days of getting up at 4:30 am. Originally I didn't like the idea of taking a whole day off for rest but after a couple of days of double workouts I'll most definitely need it.

Until next time...Do today what others won't, so tomorrow you can do what others can't.

2 comments:

  1. I have been trying to do more structured workouts too. I normally do OWS in the ocean and just swim till I'm done. Now that I have access to a pool I enjoy reading posts like yours to give me ideas on structured workouts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll trade you structured workouts if you can bring the Ocean to the midwest so I can practice OWS in January...lol. The only option I have for those is the Mississippi River (not a safe choice) or local lakes, not exactly the same.

    I got all my swim workouts from the training plans on http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/ cheaper than hiring a coach too.

    ReplyDelete