Pages

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Triathlon Training: Week 2 - Sunday Morning Bike Ride

Today's work out - 25 mile bike ride in 1:21:42, 21.6 mph max 18.2 mph avg

What's that saying about the best laid plans...? My plan was to get up around 6 be on the bike by 6:30, I had a movie on the DVR I've been waiting to watch that would carry me through my scheduled hour and half ride. Well it all started off according to plan, until I got on the bike and started my movie, within 2 minutes my oldest was downstairs, he wanted to watch TV with me, so I found something a little more age appropriate. We ended up watching some Disney movie courtesy of Mediacom's free weekend preview, yeah new movie, it actually wasn't that bad, but it wouldn't have mattered any way. It was just nice getting to spend that time with him while I rode my trainer, these moments are few and far between but I cherish them every time they present themselves. I can always watch my movie some other day, there will be plenty of hours spent on the trainer in the next couple of months, I'll get it in someday I'm sure.

Legs were actually pretty sore after yesterday's adventures in the snow, but they eventually loosened up, kept the ride pretty low key staying in my middle gear on my big ring after my warm up. Got through the first hour pretty well but started to hit the wall after 1:10 I knew I would get to 25 miles (Goal) at or around 1:20 so I decided to that would be the end of the workout, I would have gone to 1:30 had I felt good at the end and picked up the extra mileage but didn't have it in me.

This upcoming week is going to throw the normal routine out since the wife is traveling for work and I'm not. Probably going to end up swimming 3 days in a row since I won't be able to make it to the gym when she's out of town, being flexible is key when trying to get training in around family and work obligations. Looking forward to getting in the pool again tomorrow after yesterday's workout, feeling so much better about my swimming every time out.


Until next time...Do today what others won't, so tomorrow you can do what others can't.

3 comments:

  1. Great work Josiah! Your example is why I tell people buying a trainer is worth it's weight in gold! You were able to get an hour and a half workout in while still spending time with your family. The trainer makes it possible to get workouts in while your wife is on travel when the kids are sleeping or just want to watch a movie with dad. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I struggle with getting quality training time. However, family is first with me. My son is starting a new season of basketball and swim team. That means 4 days of practice and 2 game days. I am always looking for those windows of opportunity to train.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jeff, yeah the trainer is the single best investment I've made besides my treadmill, without it I wouldn't be getting any miles in this winter with or without the nice weather we have had.

    Kepa, I feel ya, my oldest starts indoor soccer practice tomorrow and football practice next week my evenings are going to get crazy busy again real soon.

    ReplyDelete