Pages

Monday, January 02, 2012

2012 Goals and a 2011 recap

Okay here it is, the official goals of 2012 but first a quick recap of 2011.

2011 was an amazing year for me in my training, racing and fitness goals, first and most important I hit the century mark in weight loss, yes 100 lbs lost and I got to see a 1 at the beginning of my weight for the first time in nearly 20 years. Now I do have to follow that up with the fact that I have put on 10-15 pounds since my last race of the season and my second biggest accomplishment of the year, running my first Ultra event, the Wildcat Den 50k on Nov. 13th and the last time I was at or under 200 lbs. I have been taking it easy with training and been pretty relaxed as far as my diet goes but I am going to be on track and more disciplined than ever with my diet this year and hopefully I will see a transformation like I never thought imaginable.

Other highlights include:
- Racing in 11 events and setting or beating a PR in all 11
- Running my first 5k and taking 4th in my age group (yeah I know I ran a marathon before a 5k but running fast scares me more than running long)
- Going under 4 hrs in the marathon (3:54:15)
- Going under 2 hrs in the half marathon (1:51:25)
- Racing my first multi sport event, Du State Duathlon
- Running 1569 miles for the year (my original goal was 1800 and I would have made that easily but I started biking 3-4 times a week for cross training in July and that affected my mileage but greatly helped my running)
- Biking 1852 miles since July, I really expect to double that for this year.
- Taking 1st place in my age division at the Silvis Family Run 10k
- Getting involved with Live Uncommon which represents the values and dedication to family and fitness that I gave truly come to cherish.
- And I continued to grow the seed of living a healthy lifestyle with my 2 boys, they have both asked me to run marathons this year (any race to them means marathon) and I can't wait till they do.


So on to 2012... I have big plans to take my fitness to new levels, some even scare me a little just thinking about typing them out.

- Run a spring Marathon and/or 50k
- Run a fall Marathon and/or 50k
- Run a 50 miler??? (Yikes!!!)
- Run a half marathon with my sister in law
- Enter the world of Triathlon (already signed up for the QC Triathlon, Sprint Distance, in June)
- Do an Olympic Distance Triathlon (Hy-Vee Tri in Sept)
- Do a 70.3 - Yes I want to do a Half Ironman this year, I originally was going to put this off till 2013 goals but some friends have been talking about doing one and my own personal drive are leading me to try for it this year.
- Run more obstacle races like Spartan Race, Warrior Dash and Tough Mudder. These are insanely fun and challenging races that truly test your overall fitness, and besides who doesn't like playing in the mud?

Reading a friends blog this morning about their 2012 goals, I was inspired to set some personal goals as well, so here are some things I want to accomplish as a person, father and husband.

- Keep a better record of my life through this blog, not only in my training but my thoughts, feelings and ideas. Sharing my life through this blog is incredibly therapeutic for me at times and I really need to take advantage of that. I also have a goal of taking this blog to bigger and better things, I would like to review products for companies (okay selfishly I really want free training gear) and maybe even be able to make some money some how from that.

- My long term goal in life right now is to become a certified personal trainer and possibly make a living from my passion for fitness. The old saying goes "Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life" well I love working out, helping people work out and find a passion for fitness and talking about exercise so sounds like I need to be personal trainer. This year I would like to try and become a certified personal trainer.

- Live a more minimal life. I have been on a minimalist kick lately not only with my choice of footwear but in the way I live my life. I have grown tired of living a life centered around accumulating "stuff" I want to start minimizing my life down to the bear essentials of what I need to survive like food, clothing and shelter. This is going to be incredibly difficult as I have grown very accustomed to certain things over my 34 years but I have identified some things I can limit down or even live without, like multiple pairs of running shoes, drawers and drawers full of so many clothes that I couldn't possibly wear them all and spending hours in front of the TV. Spending less time in front of the TV will not only give me more time to train and sleep but will also help me accomplish my last personal goal...

- Spend more quality time with friends and family. And NO Facebook does not count as quality time. I was recently reminded of how I have neglected certain personal relationships when I finally visited an old friend and their family after 12+ years. Too often I have passed on playing with my kids to veg-out in front of the TV or declined to hang out with friends because I had a long run in the morning, which can be wise at times when it would be detrimental to my health but when I'm doing nothing better than wasting time in a hotel room watching TV instead of spending time with people it's really sad.

2012 is going to be an amazing year and not because of any race I run, but because I am going to be living my life, doing what I love and I have a passion for something that drives me out of bed every morning, LIVING!!!

so...

Until next time...

Do today what others won't, so tomorrow you can do what others can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment