Pages

Sunday, March 04, 2012

Training Week #9 - Recap and Revolution Race Team

Week 9 of my triathlon training came to a close today with a 50 mile ride on the bike trainer. This represents my longest ride to date and the finale to my highest mileage week this year. I logged 14+ hours for a total of 144 miles, with 6900 yds swimming, 115 miles biked and 24 miles running. The best part about this week was my ability to recover from one day to the next, I did not have a single off day (lifted weights on Wednesday morning which is my typical rest day) and did not miss a single workout all week. Saturday I was able to get up extra early and jump on the treadmill for a 10 mile run before heading to the Y for a swim, I had packed my workout close just in case I felt like lifting afterwards but didn't think I would actually do it, but much to my surprise I was not only up for the workout but I felt surprisingly fresh and strong. I have really noticed this week how well I'm starting to adapt to the increased training load I have been subjecting myself to lately.

The end of this month will be the 3 year anniversary of my decision to change my life and get dedicated to a healthy active lifestyle again, and in away it feels like I'm coming up on a birthday. I still look back at how I was 3 years ago and where my life was heading and I'm in awe of how much things have changed. It has not been easy, getting started was difficult but sticking with it day in and day out has proven to be just as tough some days, but knowing how far I've come is incredibly rewarding and knowing that I'm laying a foundation for my children to model their life after makes me proud. I've said it before and I'll say it again, my boys are 2 of my biggest motivators in life, not just my athletic endeavors but in all things, setting the right example for them to follow is my responsibility as a father and one I take to heart. That's why I'm proud to announce my involvement with the Live Uncommon Revolution Race Team, I have pledged to to help raise $700 towards an overall goal of $100,000 dollars for some worthy causes, here's who we're running for:

CASI: Center for Active Seniors...provides services that meet the needs of older adults and fosters respect, dignity and quality of life.
Project Renewal: To be a positive presence for the children and families in our low income neighborhood of Davenport, Iowa.
Race For the Cure: Susan G. Komen...Breast Cancer
Moonlight Chase: Helping support the Scott County Library, Eldridge Volunteer Fire department, trees forever, the Food pantry and more...
OUCH: Wound Reach Foundation, Wound Care, Research Education And Clinical Health.
Q.C. Marathon: Us & Too (Prostate Cancer Education & Support), Erika Kate (Children with heart disease)

You can help me reach my goal by clicking here and making a donation to my participant page. Not sure how much to donate...one idea I had was donating a dollar for every mile/km I run, first event is the St. Patrick's Day 5k Race, so start with a five spot or more, every little bit counts.

Thank you,

Until next time...Do today what others won't, so tomorrow you can do what others can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment