Pages

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Training Week #10 - Saturday and Sunday

Was able to join up with a group on Saturday morning for a 10 mile run, the pace was a little faster than I've been used to lately but it was good to push myself outside of my comfort zone for a change. I run the majority of my miles by myself and it's easy to get into a rut so getting to run with other people was a welcomed change of pace. It was also good to catch up with some friends I haven't had the opportunity to run with in awhile and also get to meet some fellow Live Uncommoners for the first time.

Later in the afternoon on Saturday I hit the pool at the Y for what was meant to be an easy swim, but seeing as how I missed my long swim I decided I would try and get some extra laps in. The original plan was to do 4 x 200's for my main set but once I got started on my first 200 I changed my course and went a different direction. There is one workout in my routine that I have been avoiding and that is the all out 800 yard swim, frankly it intimidates me. Anything more than 200 yards at time starts to prove difficult for me and I have intentionally avoided doing the 800 for that reason. But I was feeling good and decided to see if I could do it, I would take it 100 yards at a time. Once I got through the first 400 yards I knew I was going to go all the way some how. It was a struggle but once I finished I felt really good like I had accomplished something big, and it has given me the confidence that I can indeed complete the swim leg in the triathlon.

Sunday I took the opportunity to sleep in instead of getting up at 4:30 to ride my bike trainer. With the time change I was going to lose an extra hour of sleep and just coming off being sick I opted for the extra sleep, besides I knew it was going to be nice in the afternoon and I was looking forward to riding outside again. After visiting with family from out of town in the morning and early afternoon I was finally able to head out for my long ride. The plan for the day was 55 miles but not having rode outside I was going to be happy with anything I could get. First off let me say I completely forgot how much I hate riding in wind, when riding the bike path along the river it seems like no matter what direction your going its always into the wind! I started out with it in my face thinking great I'll have it at my back later, ya right! It was really more of a cross wind since it was coming out of the south but either way it blew. I ended up with 41 miles in just over 2.5 hours, my pace was slow at times, definitely a difference between rode shape and trainer shape, but I was happy with the workout overall. Looking forward to many, many more miles outdoors in the very near future.

All in all a pretty decent week of training even with being sick 2 days and not at 100% this weekend still. Looking forward to putting in some good training in the weeks ahead, got my eye on possibly doing my first tri at the end of May, after my swim yesterday I'm feeling confident in my capabilities and I'm ready to test myself, but before that I have my first RevoLUtion Race this coming Saturday. If you have the opportunity please check out my page and consider donating to some worthy causes.

Until next time...Do today what others won't, so tomorrow you can do what others can't.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you hit an important milestone with your swimming. I think you will find that doing even longer swim sets will get easier now that you have crossed that threshold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I hope so. Looking forward to pushing farther and farther.

      Delete