Pages

Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Training Month in Review

January has come and gone and I have survived my first month of triathlon training with one minor injury and nearly getting hit by car not once but twice. Yeah almost forgot last night that I nearly got taken out by a turning car that forgot to check the cross walk for pedestrians. This time I saw it coming although the driver wasn't using their turn signal I could just tell by the way they were looking to their left and inching out that they were going to turn. As I entered the cross walk they rolled even further out nearly pushing me with their bumper out into traffic, I put my hand on the hood preparing to hurdle if I had to and yelled out "WHOA" which I think got their attention. I was pretty proud of myself for not cursing at them or slamming my fist in their hood, think I may be getting a little to used to almost getting hit my cars.

Anyway for the month of January I ran a total of 55 miles which is pretty low for me, but considering the fact that I have had some knee issues and I'm squeezing in 3 disciplines now it is a start. During marathon training I routinely hit 40 mile weeks and I'm sure I'll get back up there as they training and my body adapts to the workload, I haven't run further than 7 miles at a time and only 3 days a week as opposed to 5-6 so it is to be expected. I did bike 250 miles which I discount only slightly because they were all indoor and I'm much faster on my trainer than I would be outside, but when you add in the boredom factor of riding in my basement it almost balances out. Swimming I totaled 21,800 yards which I'm pretty proud of. I feel like this is where I have spent the majority of my efforts this month and I know that total isn't a lot comparatively to others, considering my lack of any base in swimming I'm very happy. My future swimming totals will continue to grow, and probably at a much faster rate as my competency grows in this particular discipline.

I'm feeling pretty good with one month down, I'm adapting well and staying healthy. Taking one full day of rest is working very well and I plan to continue that pattern going forward. My weight is steadily going down as well even though I'm really not trying to lose weight by calorie restricting myself, in fact I feel like I'm eating all the time which works out nice for me since I love food. If I can continue to train at this level, eat like I want/need and still lose weight and lean out, well then I will be really happy. I'm sure I'll plateau again like always, luckily I still have lots of things in my diet I could change if that happens to help jump start weight lose again. I'm only about 15-20 lbs off of my "ideal" weight right now and if I can get there over the next 2-4 months I'll be happy.

Looking forward to more and more training, especially with nice(r) weather just around the corner, can't wait to be running trails, and biking outside again soon.

Until next time...Do today what others won't, so tomorrow you can do what others can't.

4 comments:

  1. Great start to the year. Keep up the training. One step at a time is the key to success in these sports.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You put in good volume for your first month of your tri training plan. When and where is your "A" race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well my first attempt at triathlon will be June 16th, a sprint here locally. If all goes well over the next couple of months I'm planning on attempting Ironman 70.3 in Branson, MO. But lately I have been questioning whether or not a half ironman is biting off to much to soon. Any feed back?

      Delete
  3. You're off to a great start this year. Keep after it!

    ReplyDelete