Pages

Monday, February 27, 2012

Training Week #9 - Monday Morning

I ended up skipping my bike ride yesterday, I was up way to late watching UFC fights over at a buddy's house on Saturday and did not feel like getting out of bed at 5 am, I elected for 2 more hours of sleep and figured I would try and get in the ride later that afternoon, I didn't and frankly I don't care. My cousin and his kids were in town so me and the boys met them over at their hotel to swim which was fun, my boys love to swim and the opportunities for swimming in the winter are few and far between.

Woke up bright and early for my workout this morning feeling fresh and ready to go, which is rare for a Monday, but resting yesterday really helped that out. I got dressed and headed out the door for a quick run with the dog before heading to the Y for a swim. My GPS would not pick up a satellite, which normally frustrates me since I am such a stickler for the details but I was running the exact same route as last Monday so I knew it would be 3.25 spot on so just headed out after waiting a couple minutes. The run was okay, legs felt tired which was odd since I didn't ride yesterday and had a pretty easy week. My left knee did flare up, just a bit about half way through, I've noticed I always seem to have a flare up if I recently run on the treadmill which I did on Saturday. I know I change my form when I run on the TM so I'm guessing there might be a correlation there.

After I finished up the run I grabbed my swim bag and headed to the pool. 6am is the perfect time to get to the pool at the Y, it is dead. I made the decision last week to switch up my run and swim this week and I'm glad I did. I didn't have to share a lane and was able to really get in a groove swimming. My goal today was 1500 yds, but was able to knock out 1800 by adding in a drill set after my warm up and before my main set of 8x100's. Swimming 100 repeats is one of those workouts that can be described as love/hate. I love doing them because they go by quickly but I hate them because they are brutally tough and by the last one, I'm gasping for air. Finished up with a cool down set of kicks and swim. I am really starting to feel a difference in the water, especially now that I'm working on some form drills. was considerably faster during my 100's today then I have been in the past.

Thinking about finding a triathlon to enter sooner than the QC Tri, would like to maybe get 1 or 2 in before then, if anyone has any suggestions on good sprint distance or even Olympic distance close (within a couple hour drive) to the QC Area let me know. Also thinking I might go ahead and sign up for a 70.3, if I don't sign up I will chicken out or find some excuse as to why I can't. Some friends were aiming for Branson in September but that is the same day as the QC Marathon and I want to run that, know some people doing Racine in July and that may be a possibility still 4.5 months away so should give me plenty of time to train.

Until next time...Do today what others won't, so tomorrow you can do what others can't.

1 comment:

  1. You're a running rock star! (and biking and swimming) Keep up the good work. See you soon?

    ReplyDelete