Pages

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Triathlon Training: Week 8 - Running and falling in love all over again

I ended up skipping my evening run on Tuesday night, I had had a long and stressful day at work, I was exausted from pushing it too hard the previous day and my swim that morning so I used all of that as justification to skip my run, and in a way I'm really glad I did.

After work yesterday I really wanted to go for a run, I had considered making up my run that morning but thought I should just let it go and I did, but after work I just wanted to run, so I did, and it was great. For the first time in awhile running felt, free, easy and natural again. I wasn't laboring thtough the miles, in fact they seem to come almost effortlessly. Even though I wasn't concerened about pace I couldn't help but notice I was moving at a pretty decent clip (for me). It felt great and it really reminded me of why I love to run and fell in love with running in the first place almost 3 years ago.

Weather called for rain and snow this morning so I woke up thinking I might get stuck on the treadmill but much to my suprise it was dry and realitively nice out this morning. I was concerned that my legs weren't going to be up for another run after having run last night so I figured I just do 6 easy miles instead of a tempo effort. Once I got started and made my way through the first mile I realized I felt much better than expected and I went ahead and pushed the pace for the next 5 miles.

Running, when it feels almost effortless, is one of the greatest things you can do. There is something about moving from point A to point B under your own locomotion and power. It's hard work, but it's gratifying and that is what makes it so appealing and somewhat addictive.

Until next time...Do today what others won't, so tomorrow you can do what others can't.

2 comments:

  1. Great job! You have to listen to your body and mind and sometimes take a break to restore the greatness of excercise. When it feels like work, then we are doing something wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I have days like that too. I get upset that I skip the workout, but then the next time I do a lot better. My brain is not smart enough to know when I need recovery so my body takes over!

    ReplyDelete