Pages

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Training Week #9 - Tuesday Long Swim

Woke up feeling tired after my day yesterday, I rode 25 miles on my trainer last night before bed. Headed out to the Y for my weekly long swim, the schedule called for 2000 yds, but I knew going into it that I was going to push for 2250 with some extra laps on my warm up working on form. This is the workout I ended up doing.

Warm Up - 500 yards
200 Swim
200 Kick
100 Pull

Main Set - 1500 yards
500 Swim
400 Pull
300 Kick
200 Swim
100 Pull

Cool Down - 250 yards
150 Kick
100 Swim Easy

I started out slow but once I got threw the warm up I was ready to tackle the 500 yard swim. This would represent the longest continuous swim I have done to date and I was concerned I wouldn't be able to complete it with out having to stop. I used a trick I've often relied on when running long miles, I counted down the percentage completed as I ticked off the laps, 10%, 20% etc. and just focused on that. I like counting the percentage cause it forces you to forget about the actual distance or what you have left to complete, but keeps you focused on the positive of what you have already done. Another thing that was on the forefront of my mind was a recent blog post from Jeff Paul talking about fighting for one more round and pushing through those mental and physical hurdles you go through during training. Having just read this yesterday it really helped me mentally tackle this workout today and push to my highest swim total to date.

On deck for tonight a nice easy run and then a rest day tomorrow, thanks for reading...


Until next time...Do today what others won't, so tomorrow you can do what others can't.

2 comments:

  1. Swimming long can be mind numbing for sure. Looks like you have a systems to get you through the doldrums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty easy to play mind tricks on, even if I'm the one doing it to my self...haha.

      Delete