Pages

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Today I did nothing...

Alarm went off today at 4:15 like normal I hit the snooze button a couple of times like everyday, but finally decided to go back to sleep and call it a rest day. All I was going to do today was an easy 1500 yards at the pool. With only 2 days left until Lake Geode rest is far more important than any workout at this point. My fitness is not going to improve any over the next couple of days, but being well rested will greatly increase my chances for a great race.

Speaking of a great race I have set out some goals for this race, much like I always do.
1) Have fun, this is always my #1 goal. I'm not into endurance sports because I have any chance of winning, I do it because I love the challenge, I love doing things most people find impossible and that is fun for me.

2) Place in the top 3 of the Clydesdale division. I have looked at results from last years race and judging my those times and what I believe I'm capable of that should be a realistic goal, but certainly not the end all be all of how I judge my performance.

3) Time Goal: This one is a little tricky since I've never done an Olympic Distance, but if I double my time from the QC Tri I would finish under 2:45 which sounds reasonable to me. The swim distance is 900 yards further (so more than double), but the bike is only 10 miles longer (so less than double) and the run is a 10k vs. a 5k. I think this is a pretty obtainable goal and if I hit that then goal #2 should be in the bag.

Really looking forward to this race, the nerves are stating to set in and I can't wait for Saturday.

Until next time...Do today what others won't, so tomorrow you can do what others can't.

3 comments:

  1. It makes sense about taking a rest day. A coach once told me that when you are as fit as you are going to be when you are that close to a race. She said that doing a light workout is fine just to keep the muscles limber, but rest is really the most important thing.

    Enjoy your race. Hope you make your goals, but definitely, goal #1 is the priority!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tear it up man! Remember to just get in a good zone while swimming and gradually pick up a pace that you feel good at. The bike start easy, don't hammer right away. Get your legs under you and then pick up the pace. Same for the run. Get into a groove and pick it up as you go. Best of luck and get after it!

    ReplyDelete