Pages

Friday, July 13, 2012

Slept in again and Perfect timing

Yup, I did it again, and on purpose. I slept in again, I was going to do the swim workout I skipped yesterday but I had absolutely no desire to get out of bed this morning @ 4:15 so I went back to sleep, including my 6 hour nap on Sunday morning and sleeping in on 3 occasions this week I should be very well rested for the race tomorrow.

So far this taper week as gone really good for me, I haven't been crawling out of my skin like normal when I cut my workout time way down, in fact I am pretty sure I was bordering on burn out this week so a taper is just what I need right now. It's not that I want to quit and give up my endurance pursuits but I have pretty much been at it non stop since Jan. 2 and I really just need a break, and what better time than right before what is my biggest race of the year so far.

I have really enjoyed sleeping in the last 2 days and I'm hoping that come tomorrow morning at 7:30 I will be ready to hit the water with the energy and enthusiasm that I'll need to power me to an amazing race.

I will head down to Burlington tonight after an early dinner with the family, to pick up my race packet and find my hotel. I will most likely get in a run or a short ride just to help calm my nerves than it will be time to relax and mentally prepare for the adventure tomorrow. Physically I know I am ready, and mentally I am confident in my abilities, the only thing that is out of my control are the things that are always out of my control like weather, and that is not worth worrying about. I will try to get a good nights sleep but doubt that will happen, either way I will be geared up for the time of my life.

I love what I do, plain and simple, that is why I enjoy it so much. Many people think endurance sports is crazy and they are entitled to their opinion, I for one think hitting and then chasing after a golf ball for hours on a Sunday morning is crazy but then again I've never been one for golf. I've learned the key to fitness is finding something you love to do, and then it never seems like exercise. And when it doesn't seem like fun, do something else part of the reason I have fallen in love with triathlon training, don't want to swim then bike, don't want to bike then run, don't want to run, lift weight etc. If I get burned out on one discipline I just focus on something else a little more for awhile, it all comes back around eventually.

Until next time...Do today what others won't, so tomorrow you can do what others can't.

1 comment:

  1. I, too, can't imagine myself chasing a golf ball around either. I am not knocking the game, but its just not for me. Like you, I like training for triathlons because I can change up the workouts... swim, bike, and/or run.

    Actually, I might be one of the few who enjoy the training more than the racing.

    ReplyDelete