Pages

Saturday, July 07, 2012

H.I.I.T treadmill run

HIIT stands for High Intensity Interval Training, which I recently read about on the blog Shut Up and Run. I've done intervals before but the one key difference that Beth spoke about is during the high intensity phase it should be at maximum effort for a short time, 60 seconds for example. This greatly differ from say Yasso 800's where the effort is high but something you can sustain for 3 minutes or more.

I started out with a 1.5 mile warm up working up from 6.0 to 7.0 on the treadmill. For the intervals i ran @ 10.0 for roughly a minute, i was actually using the position on that little digital track on the screen as my start and stopping points, and then jogged @ 5.0 for roughly a minute. Repeated 10 times for 2.5 miles, then finished up with a 1 mile cool down jog.

This was a tough workout, initially the jog sections were tougher and i did walk a couple of the first ones. I realized though that is was actually easier to keep going if i didn't slow all the way down to a walk and just jog it out.

Great work out, left me  sweating buckets even inside on a treadmill in air conditioning, definitely have to make this a regular in my routine.

Until next time...

Do today what others won't, so tomorrow you can do what others can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment