Pages

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Mental Therapy Run

Today's run is what I like to call a "Mental Therapy Run" and I needed it after the crazy week I had. I won't go into all the details but if you care I have a separate post explaining it all, be warned it's a rambling mess of me whining and crying.

Met up with the group at 6am @ Crow Creek and figured we would do our normal 90 minute loop, meet back up and those of us who had more miles to cover would go out again, but that wasn't in the plans. We headed out down Devils Glen to State Street and then made our way down to the Isle of Capri and got on the bike path there. As normal we broke off into different paced groups and I found myself running with Anne today, she had 18 on her plan and I was shooting for 16 but really didn't care. By the time we made the turn on to State Street we had all but lost the main groups ahead of us, we could see a couple of people off in the distance but we were otherwise alone. After a pit stop at Mc Donald's for a bio download and quick sip of water from the faucet I was back on my way.

We made our way to the Isle of Capri and onto the bike path and I kept expecting to see a return group thinking they were going 45 minutes out and then head back but it didn't see anyone as 45 minutes on my watch came and went. I figured I would go 8 out and turn around, at this point I hadn't really considered the fact that I didn't have any water with me as I originally had planned on being back to my car after 90 minutes and with the weather as cool as it is I can go 10 miles with out water. Which brings me to lesson #1 I learned today, even though you think you know the plan, make sure to double check and then still go ahead and have a back up just in case. I should have had at least a small water bottle with me, I know better than that but really hadn't thought to much of it before heading out. Lesson # 2 - always have some water. Lesson learned.

We eventually did see a couple groups make their way back but we kept on trucking down the bike path and eventually turned around just after passing JOD and Centennial Bridge. Just before the ball field after numerous unsuccessful attempts to locate water Anne did share some of hers and it was delicious.

The trip back seemed like it lasted for ever, probably a combination of fatigue and nerves over not having any water on hand but we eventually made it back to the boat landing in Bettendorf where the rest rooms where open so I was able to get drink from the faucet. Not 1 minute after walking away did I realize I had a sudden and urgent need for a restroom, apparently my faucet hydration had awoken my plumbing and I needed to have a sit down conversation with the toilet. I know TMI but if you are reading this blog you are either a runner yourself and know exactly what I'm talking about and been there yourself a time or two or a really close friend of mine and have heard me say much worse things.

Making our way back up Devils Glen I was starting to feel the mileage but I was determined to finish strong and once we hit the nice flat section after Hy-Vee I started to pick up my pace. I felt bad cause I knew I was pulling away from Anne (Sorry Anne) but I think she has run enough times with me now to know that's how I like to finish.
All in all even though I didn't have enough water or nutrition with me (I had one gel with me that I took at the turn around Lesson #3 maybe I don't need as many calories as I thought for a long run) it was a great run, Anne and I talked a majority of the way, okay I mindlessly rambled on, and we covered the entire gambit of topics from running shoes to kids soccer. And I reconfirmed something I thought I knew but, Lesson #4 No problem seems as bad after a 3 hour run. After the week I've had I really needed that run and I really needed it to be a good run as well. Had I not run with the group today I know with out a doubt I wouldn't have done 18 miles, I wouldn't have done it that fast and I wouldn't have felt that good afterwards. Big thanks to Anne for running with me and to everyone that shows up for these group runs, even though I don't run with everybody, we are all out there running together and it's just the fact that we are all committed to the same goal of being healthy and active.

Until next time...Do today what others won't, so tomorrow you can do what others can't.

2 comments:

  1. If you were hurting on the way back I certainly couldn't tell. Awesome run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very good action! I like to see positive things like this :)

    ReplyDelete