Pages

Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Wednesday - Biggest Swim of the Year

As the title of this post says today was my biggest swim of the year. The training plan I have been following has 2 workouts totaling 2500 yards and I have done each of those a couple times so I've been looking for a bigger workout to push myself and in the interest of full disclosure I totally ripped this workout from someone else's blog post (Thanks Aaron you just became my unofficial swim coach) and made a couple of minor adjustments. Here's what I ended up doing this morning:

Warm up - 500 yards
200 swim, 200 kick, 100 pull

Main Set - 2200 yards
8x50 swim with 10 sec RI
100 kick
5x100 swim with 15 sec RI
100 kick
2x250 swim
100 kick
500 swim

Cool down - 100 kick

2800 yards total

I was tired this morning when I entered the water, I woke up a little late and rushed out of the house to get to the pool so I really "woke up" during my warm up. I felt pretty good during the 50's and 100's but half way through the first 250 I started doubting whether I was going to make it all the way through another 250 and then a 500 yard swim. I put the 100 kicks in between each set to kind of give me a chance to rest my mind for the work to come and give my arms a little break so after the second 250 and 100 kick I decided I would just tackle the 500 yard swim one lap at a time. I was pretty tired going into it and I figured I would probably just get another 200 yards and then call it quits, it would have still been a good workout and I was okay with it. I think that may have been just what I needed to get me through the final 500 yards, once I had come to grips with being okay with quitting if I needed to I was able to push myself through. The funny thing was I ended up swimming very relaxed and once I got 300 yards down I knew I was going to finish. I was very, very happy with this workout and awfully pleased with myself for completing.

Afterwards I got changed and headed upstairs to lift weights. I was running short on time after such a long swim workout so I was only able to get my squats and leg press in, but it was still a good leg workout.

My youngest son is home sick today so I got an unexpected day off from work which was perfect timing, I actually took a short nap this morning before taking him to the doctor and may just get another this afternoon. On deck for tonight is an easy run then a tempo effort tomorrow morning.


Until next time...Do today what others won't, so tomorrow you can do what others can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment