Pages

Saturday, May 05, 2012

Saturday Long Run, Soccer, T Ball and Date Night

Was going to meet up with the group at Crow Creek for the weekly long run except for one minor detail, I over slept. Yeah apparently not only must you set the alarm for the desired time to awake but you actually have to turn it on as well. I woke up at 5:50 and there was no way I was making it all the way to Bettendorf in 10 minutes. Dang I was really looking forward to running with the group this week, missed everyone last week because of the thunderstorms and next 2 weeks I'm going to be racing but alas I had a solo long run to do.

I headed out the door to make my way to the bike path, plan was just to do one big loop of about 10 miles. It's been awhile since I've run any kind of distance in my own neck of the woods so I made sure to let Deanna know my route before leaving. *Sidebar as I was leaving I am very proud to say that my wife was lacing up her shoes and heading down to put a few miles in on the treadmill before the boys got up, very, very proud of her.

Nothing terribly spectacular about the run, I was surprised to look at my watch during the first mile and see I was cruising along at just over 9 min mile pace. It wasn't to long ago that my average pace for a long run was in the 9:30-10:30 per minute range. I have really made improvements in my speed and it is showing up in my long runs as well. Once I got down to the bike path I made a pit stop at the restrooms, topped off the water bottle and headed out again. I was afraid I might get rained on this morning but nothing came, it actually was a pretty decent morning for a run, cool but humid, worked up a good sweat but never felt really hot.

After making my way off the bike path I headed back up the hill towards Crosstown Road to take me back home, this was the hillier section of the course but it is much better hitting a couple of small hills in the middle of the run than trying to run up 9th Street Hill in the last mile. I was pretty suprised to be picking up speed at this point and I was able to finish the run really strong with a mile 10 @ 8:15 and the last .67 @ 7:44 pace. Mile splits for the whole run where 9:11, 9:06, 9:18, 8:57, 8:50, 8:55, 9:04, 9:03 (hills), 8:44, 8:15, 5:10 for .67. All in all really great run, feeling very good about setting a pr for the half marathon next week.

Afterwards it was a rush to get showered and changed before heading out to the soccer fields, both boys had the early game today so mommy and me split halves taking turns watching each boys game and texting the other to keep them informed. After the game we had to deliver fundraising food items to family members before heading home scarfing down lunch and then heading to the ball field for Caden's T Ball game.

We are finally home enjoying a little down time before we take the boys to my brother in laws for the evening so me and Deanna can have a date night with some friends. It's been a crazy fun, busy day and still more to come, these are the days that I truly love my life!

Until next time...Do today what others won't, so tomorrow you can do what others can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment