Pages

Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Firecracker Run - 2011 - 10K results

Click the link below for the official results

Race Results

I felt like I did really well, I set a new PR for the 10k with 49:23 which is great considering I wasn't running this race as a high priority, I was basically using it as my speed work for the week. I started off slow, I intentionally kept myself in the back of the starting area with the walkers and people with strollers so I would have to go slow. The first mile is flat and after weaving through the crowd I was moving pretty well and I felt great. The second mile brings the first real hill and I was able to pass some people as I have grown to love running up hill, I'm fairly confident in my ability to go up hill these days, I run enough of them during runs and I have grown stronger at it. At the top of the hill was a lady spraying a garden hose for passing runners and as I ran through the spray I yelled "I LOVE YOU!" she laughed and I sped off. Miles 3 and 4 were mostly flat and I started to reel some people in, my basic strategy in any race is to find people ahead of me and use them as a target to catch and pass, this keeps the race from getting boring, and helps fuel my competitive drive. After a down hill section mile 5 brought on the next and last hill, which was a bit brutal, as I approached the uphill I passed some people who looked like they were struggling just a bit and called out "Here is where the fun begins" not sure if they heard me and if they did if they took it as intended, before the race began the race director had made a special comment about this hill and the elderly lady that lived on it who plays an organ for the enjoyment of passing racers.

After the hill came a nice down hill section which was a welcome change for my aching legs. Once I reached the final stretch I spotted a guy I have seen at the last couple of races I've done and I made it my mission to pass him...yet again. As I reeled him in I reached the 6 mile mark as I passed him and I was moving at a pretty good clip, then suddenly he shot passed me! It was on, my competitive fire ignited I shot off in a sprint and blew past him crossing the finish line in 49:23 setting a new PR much to my surprise. I quickly found the guy I passed and apologized (some people may consider blowing by someone at the tape bad form), no hard feelings, and we shared a laugh about it.

Overall I was really happy with my performance I finished 16th in my age division and 5th in the Clydesdale division (210+ lbs). I was really hoping to place in the Clydesdale division seeing as how it was probably my only opportunity to compete in that division, hoping to be down in the low 190's for the QC Marathon in September.

No comments:

Post a Comment