Pages

Friday, August 03, 2012

Getting back in the groove and my new bike

This week I have really felt like I'm back in the groove of training. I'm getting in good quality workouts and I have found myself wanting and craving to do more, even though I am resisting the temptations, don't want to burn out. I was talking with my friend Jay the other day and he made the statement that he prefers the training more so than the actual races and I'll admit I'm inclined to agree with him. Don't get me wrong I love to race, it feeds my competitive desire, and I love competing in triathlons even more so than straight running events, but the real pay off is in the 5 am training sessions. I love the training, the dedication, the focus on a goal, and the structure of a training plan. Everyday after a workout, whether good or bad I know I've accomplished something. The worst workout I've ever had was still better than sitting on the couch.

So speaking of loving to workout I am really looking forward to my first ride on my new (to me) triathlon bike. I'm going to be completely honest and say this bike is way to nice for me but I got an incredible deal that I frankly couldn't pass up. My original plan was to wait till February when I got my tax return and by a new bike but I was able to pick up a used Trek Equinox 9 (carbon frame) outfitted with Sram Red components (top of the line) for much less than a entry level aluminium tri bike with the basic components. I am very excited, my biggest concern buying a tri bike was spending that kind of cash on a bike I would want to upgrade after maybe only a year or 2 of racing, but with this bike there is not much to upgrade too so I will hopefully get many years of riding before I feel the need to upgrade. I am just waiting for a new cassette for the rear wheel, which I had to buy separately, to come in the mail so I can take my new toy for a spin. It will be the equivalent of racing a Ferrari powered by a Ford engine (a F-250 Diesel) with me on it but I will certainly be faster than on my road bike. Also having that bike has been extra motivation to work out, been a couple of days I wanted to sleep in this week, but I thought I gotta justify owning that bike by getting my butt up and workout. I'll post a pic once I have it all assembled.

Thanks for reading and until next time...

Do today what others won't, so tomorrow you can do what others can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment