Pages

Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Tuesday run, bike and maybe a swim

Woke up this morning ready to tackle a tempo run and then either hop on the trainer or head to the Y for a easy swim, wasn't sure what I wanted to do so I figured I would just decided after the run.

I have found recently that it is easier for me to get up at 4:30 to get ready to work out by setting my alarm for 4 instead of 4:15, makes some sense seeing as how I have a habit of hitting the snooze button, so this way I still get to hit the snooze 3 times and get up on time.

I was out the door and ready to go at 4:55, I ran the first mile plus as a warm up with Lucky, he doesn't do so well on speed days even on a nice cool morning like today, but he still got 1.4 miles in before I dropped him off and changed shoes (yes I put the wrong shoes on this morning in my sleepy haze).

The run went pretty well I was hitting my mile splits just about where I wanted to be and half way through I realized how easy the pace felt. Running when it feels as effortless as it did this morning is such an amazing thing. I'm no speed demon for sure but when I am able to throw down 8:20, 8:00, 7:50 miles and not feel like I'm putting out much effort I know running well. It felt really good to have such a great run, I have been neglecting my running lately and with a marathon coming up I really need to start stretching my mid week tempo runs and speed days out as well as my mid distance easy runs. This time last year I was doing tempo runs of 8 miles total and easy runs of 8-10 miles mid week so I am a little behind schedule. Fitness wise I'm probably ahead of the curve with all the cross training, swimming and biking I've been doing so I'm not going to worry to much about it. Just need to pick things up over the next couple of weeks and get in some good long runs which shouldn't be a problem considering how many people I know that are training for the same race.

After my run I decided to hop on the bike trainer, I actually swapped my new tri bike for the road bike on the trainer, I found last night that the road bike is slightly more comfortable to ride on the trainer so I will most likely for now just keep it on there and ride my tri bike when I get outside, which I plan on doing tomorrow afternoon. I am taking the day off since it is my birthday, my plan is to do 35 miles for my 35 birthday, plus this will serve as my long ride for the week since I'm doing the Hickory Grove Triathlon on Sunday.

Thanks again for reading and until next time...

Do today what others won't, so tomorrow you can do what others can't.

1 comment:

  1. While its often tough to get out of bed for an early morning run, I will have to admit that those are the best training runs.

    Hey, good luck on your triathlon this weekend.

    ReplyDelete