Pages

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

A Fighters Blog #3

My first, and hopefully last, major health scare:


I was 30 years old and I kept having this persistent nagging pain in my chest. At first I just thought it was a lasting result of a car accident I had recently been in, but it just never went away. After consistent nagging by my wife I finally went to see my Doctor about my chest pains. After running some tests and checking my blood pressure he decided as a precautionary measure to do some blood work and have me take a stress test. Well let’s just say that I failed my blood work, badly. I was borderline diabetic, my triglycerides where 500 and my bad cholesterol was 250 plus. The good news from my stress test was my heart wasn't bad but it wasn't doing great and if I had kept on the same path I could have been in really bad shape at a very young age. I realized I was lucky that I had recognized the problem before it got out of control but like a lot of things we don't address problems until we can see them. I kept putting off working out and changing my diet, if it wasn't the work excuse it was the holiday season or whatever I could come up with to prolong the fact that I needed to change my life. The real eye opener was when we went on vacation to Florida. Now the idea of spending a week in Florida lounging by the pool, swimming and soaking up the sun in March for an Iowa boy sounds great but when you are embarrassed to take your shirt off in your own home exposing your love handles out in public is a completely different thing. It was then and there that I vowed to make the changes, to never have to feel that embarrassment about my body again, and the next year when we went on vacation I was going to be the "hard" body that I wished I had been. That's when I decided I was going to get back in the gym I had been paying for the last 3 years and make the changes I had been talking about for so many months. And that’s where I discovered something I had lost so many years earlier.

May 27th, 2009 272 lbs. 26 pounds lost after 2 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment