Pages

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Post Marathon Reflections and Recovery

So I'm a few days removed now from the QC Marathon, and like I've typically done in the past I initially cursed this distance, questioned why I subject myself to this God forsaken sport and vowed to never run another one again. And just like in years past the sentiment has already faded after only a few days and I'm chomping at the bit to get back into training for my next big challenge, a sub 6 hour 50k at Wildcat in November.

Physically I'm not ready to get back to training so I am going to continue to take it easy the remainder of this week. Mentally I'm game but between fatigue and battling a minor cold rest is the best prescription right now. I just haven't had the desire to get up early this week, a continuation of last week, and honestly the extra 2 hours of sleep is the best thing for me any way. I did get on the bike for 30 minutes on Tuesday, and I'm going to shoot for another 30 minutes tonight as well. Maybe tomorrow if I'm up to it I'll hit the pool for an easy swim, otherwise I will take the rest.

So what I learned this time around from the marathon...
  1. I need more long runs (18-20 miles) leading up to the race. This year I did only one 20 miler and it's really the main reason I feel like I broke down both physically and mentally at the end of the race. I had not adequately prepared my body or mind for that much hurting after that much time, something I believe you can only do through long training runs.
  2. I need to practice running on tired legs. I ran only 3 (maybe 4) times a week this year with all the additional triathlon training and although this greatly improved my overall fitness it did not adequately prepare me for miles 21-26 were running on tired legs is what you have to do. Last year I would do an 8-10 miler the day before my long run on the weekend where this year I was either swimming or taking a day of rest.
  3. Training for speed pays off in longer distance as well as shorter. I did much more speed training this year, actually more accurately put I should say I did better quality speed training. I pushed myself much harder during tempo runs and even incorporated some Yasso 800's, which going forward I would like to do on a more consistent basis.
My goal going into the race was to go under 3:45 and even though I did not accomplish this I was in no way upset about my finish. In fact I'm actually glad that I didn't make my goal because it has left me hungrier to go under 3:45, in fact I honestly believe I have the capabilities right now to be in the 3:30's, and I will be targeting a spring marathon to give 3:45 another try. Hopefully I will not be running the QC Marathon next year as I will be running the half with my sister in law. The plan was for me to run with her this year but a pregnancy interrupted that plan so it is on for 2013. I will have a fall marathon on the schedule that will be my target race where I will attempt at breaking into the 3:30's.

It still amazes me the difference between a marathon and all the other race distances, the amount of awe, hatred and respect I have for it. How immediately afterwards I'm hating it so much and questioning why i subject myself to this torture to only a few days later I can't wait to do another one. Maybe it's because unlike a 5k, 10k or even a half marathon you can't just jump right into another one a few weeks later. It takes more time to heal and then prepare properly for the next one. Recovery for a 5k or a 10k takes a day may 2 a half not much longer, I've run a half marathon than gone out the next week and run 20 miles, but I couldn't for the life of me imagine going and running another marathon this coming weekend, let alone making an attempt at a PR. Maybe that is why deep down inside I love this distance the most, because it requires more patience, timing and discipline than shorter distances.

Until next time...Do today what others won't, so tomorrow you can do what others can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment